Railway Stories
& History

 Condensed Wainwright Rail History

The Town of Wainwright was established in 1908 as the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway built west from Winnipeg to Prince Rupert, BC. The town was named after William Wainwright, 2nd Vice-President of the GTPR.

Wainwright soon became an important division point for the railway with a roundhouse, coal dock, and car department all forming part of a large railway yard For a time, in the early years, trains were dispatched from the Wainwright Station. As technology advanced, Wainwright’s importance to the railway diminished. Today the rails form the CNR main line, but little remains to remind us of the bustling division point Wainwright once was.

 The Railway History of Wainwright

 Wood Caboose on Rail Park Tracks

CN 78492 on arrival to Wainwright in 1991

Wood Caboose CN 78492

CN 78492 was built in September 1942 at CN’s Point St Charles shops in Montreal. As was common practice it was rebuilt from a wooden boxcar… Wood Caboose CN 78492

 

 Nipiwan Tank Car Arrives at Rail Park

CN AGRX-802 on arrival to Wainwright in 2006

Tank Car CN AGRX-802

AGRX-802 is Wainwright Rail Park’s latest acquisition. The car was donated by Bunge in Nipawin Saskatchewan, where until recently had provided additional raw canola oil storage for their Nipawin edible oil refinery.… Tank Car CN AGRX-802

 

 Cisco Bridge Diorama

This replica of CN’s Cisco Bridge was handcrafted by Doug and Jackie Hole of Sorrento, BC. The Prototype is near Lytton, BC on CN’s mainline through the Fraser Canyon. The model measures 12 feet long and took more than 2 years to construct. Most parts were scratch built or heavily modified to duplicate the prototype, and followed CN’s blueprints to ensure accuracy. The diorama contains countless details and lighting effects. Jackie Hole’s model birds add authenticity to the scene. The Cisco Bridge Diorama won the Gold Award (Best in Show) at the 1999 National Model Railroad Convention in St Paul, Minnesota.

The diorama was donated by the Holes in 2001 and is now on permanent display inside the sleeping car, ”Matapedia.”